Screenings running Nationwide throughout May/June 2018
Cartoon Saloon are delighted to announce a series of upcoming screenings for schools of ‘The Breadwinner’, a powerful story of hope and resilience set on the streets of Afghanistan. The screenings are accompanied by a comprehensive education pack containing questions and activities to guide your class through the film.
THE BREADWINNER is a powerful story of hope and resilience set on the streets of Afghanistan and is based on the beloved book of the same name by Deborah Ellis which is currently on the curriculum. The heroine is Parvana, an 11-year-old girl whose family struggles for a better life under Taliban rule. Parvana disguises herself as a boy to help her family survive following the wrongful arrest of her father. Twomey’s powerful film drew the attention of UNHCR Special Envoy Angelina Jolie, who is an Executive Producer.
There a number of upcoming screenings suitable for schools for ages 10+, with a comprehensive education pack containing questions and activities to guide your class through the film. The education pack can be downloaded directly here and is a free resource for teachers.
The key points of interest in The Breadwinner include:
- Arts education in the form of Cartoon Saloon’s beautiful animation
- Social and personal health education reflected in Parvana’s resilience and good actions;
- Diversity and inclusion explored through the representation of Afghan people and women in Afghanistan;
- Politics, history and folklore referenced in stories of Afghanistan;
- Language, reading and writing is represented as important skills in The Breadwinner. The students will also have the opportunity to discuss their feelings and opinions through the activities in the education pack.
- The Breadwinner is available in English and in Irish language and has received a 12A certificate. It is recommended for Senior Primary Level and Junior Secondary Level students.
There is a full list of cinemas screening The Breadwinner online here: https://bit.ly/2ImyBmT
To book please fill out this booking form: https://goo.gl/forms/ EGO92EbalUaoVFmB2 or contact your cinema directly. Ticket prices are subject to the cinema’s school prices.
For any further queries, please contact Sarah Ahern, Schools Coordinator on firstname.lastname@example.org or ring The Breadwinner Team on 01 6185032.